Option 1 – IVF

At first, both adoption and egg donation seemed impossible choices to accept (particularly egg donation) so I was quite keen to get started on an IVF treatment.

When we found out our results in January the first option was to look for IVF treatment. In the UK, it is very difficult to get IVF covered through the public health system (NHS) and it also takes a long time.

Private Clinic

For this reason, we decided we would take all our savings and go for a private clinic that specialized in low ovarian reserve called Lister Fertility Clinic. I attended an open house, booked tests and an appointment with one of their top doctors early February. To this day, it remains one of the most awful medical experiences of my life.

I paid £450 to be treated by the least empathetic and caring doctor. She did not even introduce herself or asked questions. I did not learn anything new about my options and it was clear that they would do any treatment for money without personal consideration. After arriving with great hope, I left thinking that I would rather pursue the free (even if slow) NHS treatment than pay to be treated so coldly. I did pay for additional tests (wanted to be 100% sure) and then never went back.

For those interested in my test results here they are:

Screenshot 2017-05-23 21.51.24

Second Opinion

I consulted many other doctors including some well known specialist back home (Mexico) and they kindly told me that my chances were way too low and they would not recommend I spend my money pursuing IVF but rather go straight into egg donation given the low chances of success. This was obviously difficult to hear and while I did appreciate the honesty, this thought remained…

Even if there is a low chance of success, I still want my baby to be “mine” and come from “my” egg. I need to know if this could at all happen.


This brings me to where we currently sit with IVF. After much pleading and crying, the NHS finally agreed to refer me to the Reproductive Clinic at University College Hospital. The doctor that saw me at this clinic was the complete opposite from the Lister Clinic doctor. A super kind person that genuinely seems to care about us and wants to help us.

She told us that she would try to plead our case to the board but being very transparent my results are not strong enough to merit cover by NHS. She suggested egg donation as the best viable option and asked we seriously consider it. She also recommended we look at this overseas donations because in the UK there is a 2 year waitlist.

Fast forward a few months and I have re-taken the tests multiple times and the doctor (incredible human being) has been trying to secure funding for my case. She says that because I am 30 years of age, even if my results are not strong, my age suggests I may have a chance and she would like to fight for me to get one round of IVF covered by the NHS.

Today, I am still waiting to hear back on when/if this process will be covered by the NHS. Naturally, this still remains Option 1. I like this option a lot because it gives me the chance to try (free) to understand if I would even respond to treatment or not and where we should put our savings to work. If I do respond and do not make a baby, it gives me hope to pursue the treatment privately. If I do not respond, then I know I have to put all my efforts on the egg donation front.

I will discuss Option 2 – Egg Donation on my next post!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: